180. China (Capital city: Beijing)
- The Shanghai Tower, with 121 floors, is the 2nd tallest building in the world.
- China has unusual table manners. Just like in Vietnam, spitting, yawning, grunting, and burping are normal behaviors.
- Split crotch pants are still popular in China…
- China legally owns most pandas. If China lent a panda to a country and it gave birth, the newborn would still belong to China.
- Restoring virginity is possible in China. That plastic surgery procedure is called hymenorrhaphy.
- More than 30 million people still live in caves.
- The New Year is celebrated sometime in January or February, many people during the 15-day celebration do not work.
- About half of the pigs in the world are in China. Chinese people eat a lot of pork.
- It is believed that the Chinese invented ice cream by mixing flour, camphor, and buffalo milk with ice.
- An imperial palace called “The Forbidden City” has more than 9000 rooms.
- The longest bridge in the world is 102.4 miles! It’s called the Danyang-Kunshan Grand Bridge.
- Macau is the only Chinese territory where it is legal to gamble in a casino.
- The money passing through Macau today is more than 5 times that going through Las Vegas.
- Macau was the last to remain as an European colony in Asia.
** Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Disneyland, which opened in 2005, is the 3rd Disney theme park outside the US and the 1st in China.
- Hong Kong has the highest number of skyscrapers in the world. It has twice as many skyscrapers as NYC.
- It is the 4th most densely populated country.
- It has more than 200 islands.
- Tourists are allowed to bring in only 19 cigarettes into the city.
I suggest this video to understand how these independent states relate to China.
181. Taiwan (Capital city: Taipei)
- Some argue that Taiwan is not a country since it’s not a member of the UN, but Taiwan is not controlled by People’s Republic of China, so the case may be argued otherwise.
- The official name of Taiwan is the Republic of China. It’s often confused with People’s Republic of China..
- Taiwan is one of the few countries that still use traditional Chinese characters.
- The garbage truck plays music like an ice cream truck in the US.
- Lots of people fear the rain and run to cover themselves because of acid-rain fears.